Most HS01 formatting uses Wiki markup.
Designing page elements on HS01 Wiki articles requires different tactics than used in writing with a standard word processor program. Instead of editing in rich text, we use simple keyboard character codes for formatting. Some markup is similar to the codes used in HTML on web pages, but generally Wiki markup is simpler.
HS01 accepts some HTML tags, but editors commonly use the built-in MediaWiki markup language, which is designed for ease of editing.
Bold and Italics
The most commonly used tags on HS01 are bold and italics. bolding and italicizing are done by surrounding a word or phrase with multiple apostrophes ('):
- '''bold''' appears as bold. (3 apostrophes on both sides)
- Or click on the bold B at the editing bar ()
- ''italics'' appears as italics. (2 apostrophes on both sides)
- Or click on the italic I at the editing bar ()
- '''''bolded italics''''' appears as bolded italics. (5 apostrophes on both sides)
- Or click on the bold B and the italic I at the editing bar ()
Note: You can type multiple quote characters by surrounding them in <pre> or <nowiki> tags.
It is a HEROsector01 convention to bold the subject of an article when it is first mentioned in the article. For example, the article Preston Stormer starts:
- Preston Stormer is a hero in the Hero Factory and the Alpha Team Leader.
Another HEROsector01 convention is to italicize book's, movie's and computer/video game's titles. If the first mention of the subject of an article that is also a book or movie title then bold italics are used. For example, the articlestarts:
- BIONICLE Chronicles 1: Tale of the Toa was the first BIONICLE book released in 2003...
Headings and Subheadings
Using headings and subheadings is the traditional method for organizing articles. If you can see two or more distinct topics being discussed, you may separate the article by inserting headings for each section.
Headings can be created like this:
- ==Top level heading== (2 equals signs)
- ===Subheading=== (3 equals signs)
- ====Another level down==== (4 equals signs)
If an article has at least four headings, a table of contents will automatically be generated. You may try creating a heading in the Sandbox. It will be added automatically to the table of contents on the page, provided three others already exist.
Images are often used to decorate or illustrate a page, so see the image tutorial for instructions on image formats and other help.
For more edit formating, see here.