HEROsector01:Image Use Policy
Parent Page: HEROsector01:Policy
Please follow these terms while uploading:
- Hero Factory related images ONLY - Only Hero Factory related images are to be uploaded. No personal images like your cat, your nice sofa, or your "supercool" MOC, etc.
- No direct linking - For more information, read the bottom section of this policy.
- Absolutely NO personal pictures. - Please use Imgur or other image hosting sites for uploading personal pictures.
- No pornography or sexual innuendos - This should be simple logic, but it will be stated anyways. Nothing sexual AT ALL.
- Do not upload images to use as an example. If you wish to show something in an image, or ask if an image can be used on the site, host it elsewhere (detailed under "Direct Linking") and link to it so it can be looked at. Do not upload it.
- Signatures - The only pictures permitted to be included in signatures are those hosted on an image hosting site, not linked to from BS01 or HS01. In addition, they must not be overly large, distracting, or contain audio tracks.
Image Use on Articles: Templates/Gallery
Below is the order in which images should be used for infobox templates. If there is no satisfactory image that can be derived from the first applicable source type, then the next source down should be used, and so on:
- TV Show
- Concept Art
Comic images most commonly feature important characters and objects, thus they are given prevalence above all other. The television show often features details that would normally not be found in sets, but is also the prevailing media for the series, and one that receives the most detail. CGI images, whether derived from static art pieces or captured from animations, are heavy in detail and artistry. Set images are given fourth precedence because while they are detailed, their context usually places them outside of the storyline. Concept art often differs radically from the final image, so it is given the lowest priority.
The exceptions to this ranking system are the Locations pages. In the case of Locations pages, the order is the following:
- TV Show
Image Quality and Naming Tips
A high-quality image can be achieved by tracing an image back to its source and either taking a screenshot of it or saving directly in a lossless file format. It must also be in the correct file format; 90% of the time, a file should be uploaded in the PNG format. However, if you have access to software that can make lossless JPG's, that is also acceptable.
An image should be cropped to reflect the focal point of the image. A border of unnecessary surrounding content several pixels in width is appropriate for most images.
Try to give an image as detailed a name as possible, within reason. This makes it easier for others who may want to upload the same image to check if it has already been uploaded. Visit the Gallery of new files and type in a keyword in the search field. A search for "Furno" yields all images with Furno in the image title, and consequently, all images depicting or related to Furno. Another helpful tip in naming an image is including the type of source the image is derived from. For example, an image from the comics should include the word "Comic" in the image name, preferably at the beginning.
- No religious content - Just as Hero Factory doesn't involve religion, neither do we. So do not use a picture of a cross or the Star of David, etc.
- Nothing that discriminates against a certain race, gender, nationality, etc. It simply will not be tolerated on this Wiki.
- No pornography or sexual innuendos - Once again, nothing sexual AT ALL.
When an image from another Web site is used, it is being hosted somewhere else on the Internet. The owners of the site that it is hosted on must pay for the use of bandwidth. Direct Linking happens when you use an image hosted on another website, and using it without consent is stealing bandwidth and money. We do not allow Direct Linking on this Wiki, and it will be removed.
However, there are Web sites called Image Hosting sites, like Imgur and Brickshelf, where you may host your images for use elsewhere on the Internet for free.
If you Direct Link from your own Web site or a Freewebs account, etc. - that's okay, because it's coming from yourself. Note: They are only to be used on your own pages! For mainspace pages, please upload the picture or use an existing one on the Wiki, as it is easier to use them.
Bottom line is, if the image is on a site you do not own or have permission to directly link to (like Brickshelf and Maj), you may not direct link to it.